This Canned Apple Pie Filling is perfect because it uses lots of spices, tastes perfect in a pie crust, and can be used as a topping on pancakes, , and even ice cream!
* 4 1/2 c.brown sugar
* 1 c. cornstarch
* 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
* 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
* 2 tsp. salt
* 2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
* 10 c. water
* 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
* 6 pounds apples ...I like to use Cortland
1. In a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and 8 c. water and mix well. Stir till dissolved and place over low heat. Then mix 2 c. water, lemon juice and starch and set aside.
2. Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
3. Peel, core, and slice apples. Pack the raw sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving 1" of head space.
4. Bring sugar mixture almost to boiling then stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir or whisk the mixtures quickly. When the white of the cornstarch disappears, ladle hot syrup over the sliced apples leaving a 1/2" of head space.
5. Gently remove air bubbles with a wooden spoon handle.
6. Put lids on and process in a water bath canner. Process for 15 minutes if using pint size jars, and 20 minutes if using quart size jars.
Yields 7 quarts of apple pie filling.
Note: Do not use metal utensils when canning. It can cause the glass jars to shatter.
Carmel Apple Pie
BROWN BAG APPLE PIE