- Wisconsin's taste for beer can be traced to its German settlers, who opened the first breweries and saw their numbers grow to roughly 400 by the late 1800s. The state now has around 60, including the Miller Brewing Co., the U.S.'s second-leading producer.Milwaukee, often called the "Brew City," once was home to the Miller, Blatz, Schlitz and Pabst breweries. Only Miller remains, though the city is home to several microbreweries and brew pubs. It's no accident that the city's major league baseball team is named the Milwaukee Brewers and plays at Miller Park.Forbes.com dubbed Milwaukee "America's Drunkest City" last year out of a list of 35 major metropolitan areas. In a 2005 study of data from 40 states, the Harvard School of Public Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Wisconsin had the highest binge-drinking rate among adults and the second-highest among college students.Binge drinking is defined as having five or more beers in one sitting during the past month.
BUTTERBEER RECIPEServe this well chilled and in a frosty mug or warm on those chilly Wisconsin nights
Combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla butter nut flavoring, whip 2 egg whites until it forms peaks. Add the remaining 1 tsp of the vanilla butter nut flavoring to 12 oz. of the cream soda and gently stir to combine. Spoon cream mixture on top and drizzle with butterscotch... enjoy!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla butter nut flavoring, divided
- 2 tbsp MERINGUE [whipped egg whites}
- 2tbsp Butterscotch syrup or schnapps
- 2 cans or bottles of your favorite cream soda, I like Sprechers...
HOT BUTTERBEER LATTE
- Pour soda in a medium saucepan and sprinkle with gelatin. Allow to soak for a minute or two.
- 2Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin is dissolved (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 3Stir in the vodka and schnapps.
- 4Pour into standard loaf pan ..Refrigerate until fully set (about 3 hours).
- 5To serve, cut into desired shapes.
- 6Immediately before serving, dip in colored crystal sugar, for garnish, if desired.