Saturday, June 23, 2018

Recycled Windows /Screen Greenhouse Critter Rehab Aviary/Birdhouse

 These are pictures of my recycled screen conservatory/ aviary / critter rehab. It is made of out old wooden windows and screens...you know the awesome METAL kind...wooHoo!!!. 

Last night I found a wounded baby bunny by my garden gate. I didn't want to bring him indoors and have my dogs traumatize him more, so I used a metal colander and  a planter to keep him safe until  morning .

I figured  out a safe structure for him after scrounging around the yard in my stash of windows, and came up with this....

Construction is simple by attaching 3 same size screens for the sides and attaching the same size as a door.  The roof is 2 same size windows attached to the top and braces added for support.

I did have to visit the hardware store for hinges, braces and a lock.  It can be dressed up any way you choose.  I'm still working on my design at this point. I didn't want to paint anything until Mr.bunny can thrive on his own. I am sure he would not appreciate the fumes... 







braces screwed on all corners






added braces for support


Hinges on the front door screen


It is coming together...


A lock to keep critters safe


A good washing with the hose...


2 Windows for the roof with added hinges, as I want it to stay dry when it rains..




Last minute I found this....metal doo dad






Scrap wood with pilot holes drilled for the braces




I had some leftover fake grass, and a metal bucket for a shelter..some Timothy Hay, dandelion greens, clover and fresh water however I am bottle feeding him mother's replacement milk once a day also...
See video here ...






Mr. Bunny in his make shift shelter to keep him safe until I finished his house...I will have to go thrifting for a new colander...


Poor little guy....at least his legs were not broke, he should be good to go free in a week or so...


Here he is in his new house...so stinkin' cute! Nope not giving him a name...I do not want to get attached...ha who am I kidding I know I am going to cry when I set him free....




I can keep an eye on him from my dining room and kitchen...