Ingredients Cake 1 ½ cups butter, softened 3 cups sugar 2 T vanilla extract 9 large eggs 4 ½ cups sifted flour 1 ½ tsp baking soda 1 ½ tsp salt 2 cups sour cream ~food coloring (optional) or sprinkles for Funfetti French cream Frosting: 3 cups softened butter 1 ½ tsp vanilla 7 cups powdered sugar ~food coloring ( turquoise blue and purple} Pink, lime green, black and white fondant
* Add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the sour cream and mix just until blended.
* Spoon the batter into 6 greased and floured 6” round cake pans or a Wilton bear pan( what I used and cut the bottom feet off.). Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until the middle springs back when touched. Cool . Make the french cream... * Beat the butter with your mixer until light and fluffy.
* Add the vanilla and the powdered sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. * Dye 2 cups of frosting purple and the rest turquoise blue. * Slice the tops and bottoms off the cakes and stack with a layer of frosting in between layers.
* Carve the cake into a hatchimal shape / an hourglass shape . Frost the cake in a thin layer of blue;
* Place the purple and remaining blue buttercream into piping bags fitted with a #234 grass piping tip.
*Pipe a purple hour glass shaped fur onto the front of the hatchimal and blue fur everywhere else.
* Create the eyes, beak, horn and wings out of fondant. Stick them to the cake, using toothpicks or skewers for the beak and wings to keep from sliding .
*Light the candles, and sing HATCHY Birthday!!!!