Maple tree seeds are edible, contain protein, and can be used as survival food in winter months .
A maple seed or samara is sometimes called a key and is often referred to as a wingnut, helicopter, whirlibird, whirligig, polynose, or, in the north of England, a spinning jenny. During the autumn months, they are a popular source of amusement for children who enjoy tossing them in the air and watching them spin to the ground.
But did you know they are edible? ...and nutritious?
Are Maple seeds (the "fruits" inside the "helicopters") edible?
I have parched some and they are delicious.
The raw ones are tasty as well, and might make a great trail nibble.
There are so many wonderful healthy edibles in my pesticide free yard. It seems a shame to waste such a effortless garden. I'd bet my neighbors think I'm an odd sort. So be it, I have never been healthier.
Harvest the seeds. They should be gathered when they're full but still a little green in the spring, All maple seeds are good to eat, but some are more bitter than others (a good rule of thumb is: small and sweet, big and bitter).When their shells are brown, they are a little more bitter, but still good.
Hull the seeds. Peel off the outer skin (the "whirlygig" part). Cut the end with your thumbnail. Squeeze out the seed; it looks like a pea or bean.
Rinse out the tannins. Taste a few seeds raw. If they are bitter, you'll need to boil them in water, dump out the water, and repeat until the bitterness is gone
- Cook the seeds. If you boiled them already, just season with butter, salt, and pepper and enjoy. If they weren't boiled, here are a few more options:
12 maple seeds
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
Salt to taste
Water to make a thick batter
Vegetable Oil for frying
- Wash maple seeds well.
- Combine flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix nicely and add water to make a thick batter. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan. Dip the seeds into the batter and coat them nicely. Add two three pieces in the hot oil at a time and shallow fry them.
- Fry till they turn golden.Remove from oil by a spoon. Dry the excess oil by using paper towel.
- Serve hot with a side of ranch dressing!