Wednesday, May 4, 2011

SLOPPY JOES

Sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe...sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe.  None of you can deny that you think of that song every time you hear the words sloppy and joe in a sentence together.  I sure do!  In fact, I may or may not sing it in my head every time I make the darn things.  I will admit that I am a fan of the can.  Manwhich that is...But every once in awhile I do like to try to make those canned foods we all grew up on homemade, sometimes with a twist.  I enjoy doing this because not only does it not take much extra time, but I usually have the ingredients on hand, and I can control the salt content.  Plus now I know exactly what's going into my Joes!  And don't worry, I made em' extra sloppy for yous, I know how yous kids like em' sloppy! 

Sloppy Joes
makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated (or subsitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
dash of Frank's Red Hot
Olive oil

Directions:
1.  In a large pan heat the oil, add both the onion and green pepper and cook until both are soft.  Next add the crumbled ground beef and garlic and cook until the meat is done.  Drain.

2.  Add all of the other ingredients and mix thoroughly, lastly add the ketchup.  Once again stir to combine all of the ingredients.

3.   If you want to you can serve the Sloppy Joes right away . Otherwise cover and simmer for 20 minutes or longer. Cooking longer will allow the flavors to really come together. Check on the mixture often to prevent burning. If the sauce begins to dry out too much add a little bit of water or broth at a time to prevent burning.